Betsy visits Wendy Statuto in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ

December 8, 2017
Betsy is gathering Chi for
The 2018 T'aiChi Chih Teacher Conference!

Greetings from Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ.


Ho-Ho-Kus
Seven letters all in a row,
Three are in caps, and four are low.
Add two hyphens, they must be there
Or our Ho-Ho-Kus would not be rare.

Rare indeed, is this little town in northern New Jersey, home of Wendy Statuto, a fellow TCC teacher. The land was first inhabited by the Lenni Lenape Indians, whose name means “original people.”  It wasn’t until 1662 when the first white man came to own property.  Legend has it that the indians offered their friendship to these first settlers inviting them to live with them and helping them build their dwellings.  After hundreds of years, I could feel the Chi that was generated from this town’s very beginning.



But arriving here was not without a little excitement, as I found myself surrounded by two collies and a little pup (Mark and Wendy’s new little rescue, Finley).  I thought I might be in trouble so I began Bird Flaps It’s Wings in hopes of  getting to higher ground.  But just then Wendy appeared with treats and all was good.  For a minute there I thought I was going to be the treat.  But TCC has taught me to trust in the Chi and all will be good and so it was.

To help me increase my Chi, Wendy and I took a tour around the town.   As we visited each site, we did Pulling in the Energy, but instead of pulling it in from the farthest most star, we pulled it in from the rich history surrounding each site.  It was an amazing experience that I can’t wait to share with my friend Ben when I see him.


The first place we visited was the Hermitage, a wonderfully romantic, richly historic property because of it’s association with many of the outstanding notables of our country, including our first President, George Washington. Washington, of course, had to travel a great deal in carryng out his long and devoted service to his country. But upon receipt of Theodosia Prevost’s, owner of the Hermitage, invitation to stay at the Hermitage, George Washington’s plans suddenly changed and he headed to Ho-Ho-Kus.  As is recorded, not only did George Washington sleep at the Hermitage but he also danced there!  Wendy and I felt impelled to do Joyous Breath, in remembrance of what it was like for Washington to take a breather from war and experience a moment of joyful Chi.


From here we visited town hall where, to my surprise, a hand-made quilt hung on the wall. Each square was hand sewn by the residents of Ho-Ho-Kus depicting landmarks of the town.  Being a seamstress myself, I was in awe of the handiwork.  Talk about increasing your Chi, it felt like being connected to kindred spirits. The energy surrounding this quilt was so electric that I felt as if I was on cloud nine but it was me Passing Clouds and feeling as light as a feather.


As if this wasn’t enough, Wendy had one more place for me to visit.  We got up early one morning, had breakfast (I must admit, I just love the coffee you have in 2017, so much better than we had in 1776) and off we went to Wendy’s TCC class.  Take note of the woman holding me. Her name is Alice.  Alice’s husband, John, passed away a week ago.  But she will be the first to tell you that T’ai Chi Chih was and is her link to peace and serenity. When she was too physically exhausted to do the practice, she told the class, she just did it in her mind and it worked.  She relied on T’ai Chi Chih and the Chi to help her get through each day of John’s illness. Alice is surrounded with Chi-full love and support by the members of this class. I, too, felt their Chi energy flowing into me.  It felt GREAT!

What a way to end my visit, but with a full T’ai Chi Chih practice with Wendy’s class. But now it’s time for me to move on to visit more of you around this beautiful country of ours and be filled with more Chi.

Sending all this chi forward to Philidelphia, PA for the T'ai Chi Chih Teacher Conference July 26 - 29, 2018. Follow this link to get registration info.... http://www.taichichih.org/conference-2018/

Chi-fully,
Betsy Ross

============
#TCCConf2018 #TCCBetsyAndBen #TaiChiChih
(Thank You Wendy Statuto for building our Chi!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Betsy visits Linda Jones at home in Bennettsville SC

The Tale of Ben and Betsy